Phillies vs Twins at Field of Dreams, fans praise cinematic presentation
welcome to the field of dreams, an homage to a movie revolving around men banned for life from baseball for gambling. brought to you by fanduel
shoeless joe would have fucking LOVED mountain dew baja blast
that being said, those phillies jerseys were something special
"Wanna have a three team parlay?"
Whatever people remember about this movie, it’s a lot weirder than they think
Like having Budweiser sponsor your AA meeting. 🙄
Respect for your grammar precision
Gahhh, nevertheless, as a native Iowan and former baseball reporter, I would love to attend this game sometime. Given tix are crazy pricey, I should pitch to an outlet to write about the game from an Iowan nostalgia perspective. Or if somebody wants to kindly invite me 👋🏼
There are people out there that think they can reason with people like this…
Nine years ago, my husband’s vintage baseball team got to play a few games on this field, without all the extra lights and bleachers and netflixing, and it was way fucking cooler.
fjfjfjjf shoeless joe innocent tho
the Field of Dreams game has reminded me to once again watch John Mulaney presenting the Academy Award for sound
very nice. his delivery was so well done, and so perfectly straight throughout; no small thing.
Thank you. He's got a 10-minute rift on his infuriating new LG dryer with stupid sounds that doesn't open mid-cycle and doesn't get the clothes dry, compared to those dreamy heavy white metal energy-wasting tanks from the 80s. I hope it makes his next Netflix special.
The monologue someone recites as they are cutting the coke and everyone is secretly like hurry up already but nodding their heads in agreement
Look I’m not saying highly addictive drugs are good, per se, but it can help with some forms of comedy
I didnt realise "field of dreams" was something MLB actually did so I thought this was referring to a game adaptation of the movie
Whyd he have to bring Dave Chappelle out on stage during his own show and have everyone listen to his stupid transphobic jokes whyyyyd he have to throw away all that credibility I'm still mad at him
why don't the Oscars just give Mulaney a lil two minutes every year. jeez louise this shouldn't be hard
“Tho they’ll probably go with one of this year’s…”
Scream laughing so much i cant breathe
Confirmed: I am difficult and insane
John Mulaney summed it up pretty well
It is Such. A. Bad. Movie.
“John Mulaney explains the plot of a movie” is always an all timer John Mulaney bit
This is one of the best Oscar moments of the last five years.
The Oscar for Best Bit always goes to (Runner up: Kirk Douglas’ “…you know…” 80 times before he opens the envelope)
Difficult, yes. Insane, sure. But not wrong. Which is infinitely more correct of him than his plot summary of BACK TO THE FUTURE.
only now realizing the field of dreams game happened and this is all so unbelievably stupid
cornfield game but it's the evil kid from twilight zone
If you Do it he will Dew.
The state of Iowa used taxpayer money to help fund this stadium, just a fantastic job all around.
Disguising myself as a corn in order to watch the game
They just keep taking a good idea and making it as bad as possible
Ray Liotta’s family should be entitled to damages
*uncrosses eyes* it's a dolphin
Recreating the Chicago black Sox from first principles
"Sponsors will come, Ray. Sponsors will most definitely come."
It was a movie about a bunch of dudes who got banned from baseball because they fixed games for gamblers.
At long last, we've created the Sports Gambling from the cautionary novel “Don't Create the Sports Gambling”
Shoeless Joe Jackson (from the great beyond): what the hell, man
It’s honestly so cool how even toothless nostalgia bait can immediately be ruined by capitalism in <=5 years
Nah, it was a ton of fun. Ban sports gambling, obviously. But that stuff's all over stadiums already. What's people's issue with whimsy?
Okay listen I do agree this is all dumb but just need to remind everyone, they weren’t banned for gambling. They were banned for taking money from gamblers to throw the games. And Bobby Bonilla wasn’t a deferred contract, he was a contract buyout.
If you build it, they will monatize
I watched part of the "Field of Dreams" exhibition baseball game last night. The Twins and the Phillies played, but before the game, they brought out a bunch of Hall of Fame players. Rollie Fingers still rocks the best-ever 'stache in the game.
Also his name is a classic for the ages
That Oakland team was completely amazing.
Genuinely no disrespect to Rollie but El Tiante had him beat when he was alive.
I KNEW that was Rollie just by that still magnificent 'stache! What an arm he had too! ✌️💙⚾
I will never forgive Bowie Kuhn for voiding the trade of Rollie and Joe Rudy to the Red Sox in 1976. They would have been awesome additions to that team.
I'm pretty sure it isn't actually an exhibition game.
daughters are FURIOUS because I have the Field Of Dreams game on and not the preseason Steelers game and I'm patiently trying to explain to them that preseason football isn't real
A A Ron is potentially a toxin.
Preseason football is practice scrimmages to see who gets to be the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Most the time is spent on interviews, anyways. Some of the best preseason starts end up with a horrible win loss average by November.
I love seeing posts, "this is the last weekend with no football for x months" for this reason. I think we got a few more weekends left till football starts
Shoeless Joe received a lifetime ban for fixing the World Series for the 1919 equivalent of FanDuel.
That’s why I have 5 tv’s in my house!! Only fighting here is what room everyone wants!
As much as I agree, still watch the preseason as my lust for all things NFL is greater than my common sense.
We'll see you in Iowa! 🌽 We're taking on the Red Sox in the 2027 Field of Dreams Game! mlb.com/fieldofdreams
Get rid of the gambling ads on the fence, okay?
Hopefully not on Netflix and get rid of all the fucking gambling ads on the fences FFS.
This plan assumes a season will happen in 2027. What are the odds of that?
Hot take, it should have been the Royals the first year and also every single year.
I was outside in the incredible heat and humidity when I first saw this and I got chills and goosebumps. I want to go so bad.
Who wants to have a catch? 🌽⚾️
Is Jac becoming the new face of the franchise alongside Bobby? I wouldn't hate that.
Field of Dreams, sponsored by DraftKings, FanDuel, Kalshi, Polymarket, BetMGM, and the rest, forgetting ol' scandal-ridden Shoeless Joe who was featured in the story 🙀 www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles...
I really hope we have a season next year
lol at the stupid "field of dreams" game being exclusively on netflix assuring the MLB's old-ass audience can't watch it
it me, I'm the old-ass audience. guess I'll read a book instead
my father in law just headed home from a visit and asked “what channel is it on?” it’s not, Bob, I’m sorry, I will log you into Netflix next time I visit for next year’s random ass useless Netflix baseball
Even tho I have netflix (for now), skipped right past that huge field of dreams promo tile and went with League of Their Own But it’s shit like this that inches me closer to cancelling netflix for good
I’m old and watching. It’s really not that complicated. Do you always complain?
Ah, that’s why I can’t find it on cable. Landed on Pats preseason football for the moment while I eat dinner.
Amen! Thankfully, my Fightin' Phils have a phenomenal radio team. Scott Franske is top shelf!
Regarding “Field of Dreams,” James Earl Jones didn’t like baseball. But he liked the speech. He took the job for it, even though he thought they’d cut it. His wife agreed. “Slows the movie down.”
Also highlights the film's willful racial blindness. (The novel is worse: overtly racist and anti-urban, its glorification of Iowa is blood and soil stuff chills). All the director had to do was put a few Black players on the field in Homestead Grays uniforms. But no, it's all white guys.
And his “Reclusive author who wrote influential books banned by red-state school libraries” character in the book was supposed to be JD Salinger by name, but the director didn’t want the movie to turn into a fictionalized biopic.
Burt Lancaster as a fictional version of Moonlight Graham, at peace with never having a career in baseball, in favor of the life he actually did end up living, was my favorite part.
IIRC, initial reviews were not kind to the speech. It was considered hokey and reductive. Personally, I always hated the line, “rolled by like an army of steamrollers.” Always felt it could have been written better. But you can’t beat Jones.
Also makes his long run in “Fences” even more interesting, sir.
Didn't like baseball? Truly the Dark Lord of the Sith.
10 years ago, I would’ve been on social media to use the Field of Dreams game to talk about the history of maize domestication and spread across the Americas.
Anyway, Zea mays is actually a grass, and the domestication of the wild plant Teosinte into what we know now as corn or maize started around 9000 years ago in Mexico. If you look up teosinte “ears”, they’re pinky-sized with only a few kernels
Please unfold this the way @robhanna.bsky.social does with his history threads.
I never realized I wanted to know so much about corn until now
Nice little thread on the domestication, variety, use and maize from famous corn star, JLo 🌽
This thread ❤️. Made me misty eyed for social media ten years ago.
This one's for you @bisk.sureis.sexy I might have 2 corncobs for my tea tonight, you can't stop me