UK and Ireland secondhand booksellers suspect AI firms behind bulk orders
When the book-burning by GenAI/LLM companies was revealed, the defences of this were "oh they're only buying books from pulping companies that will be destroyed anyway". The AI companies are buying bulk orders of obscure titles from ordinary booksellers.
There will be no Truth other than that disseminated by big Tech. If you are not afraid just look at the Reform morons
I already am having a hard time finding titles from the 40‘s-70’s for my research that should normally cost $2-$10. Not talking about super obscure publishing houses either.
Secondhand book sales are booming. Is it because of AI? 🧪 www.bbc.co.uk/news/article...
If AI is indeed the reason for this it’s incredibly disturbing. And then there is the destruction of books. I have a reverence for books. All of the books I own were one of the items I moved with me back to Canada. Boxes of them. So I can’t imagine destroying them like this.
Please, keep books in your house or in your family. We remember much more what we read on paper than on a screen
Be a tough order to accept, don't think I could. The way things are going we're probably pretty close to a real boom of individual purchases anyway.