Mortal Shell II earns strong early reviews
Spent the past week playing Mortal Shell II and am pleased to report it's generally quite successful and good! Quickest possible pitch is "for anyone who wanted a little more Sekiro in their Elden Ring," but it's got more than enough of its own character. (more on @minnmax.com this week)
The most interesting thing about it imo is the way it gets rid of a lot of ER's RPG mechanics. You don't level individual stats, or necessarily stick with a specific build. I really like the focus it puts on the combat system! Creativity instead comes from combining shells' active abilities.
Jacob please I'm already heavily in hour-debt I can't take out another sleep-loan
I mean, fromsoft themselves seemingly thought that Elden Ring could use some judging by the deflecting tear in the dlc. And honestly, good thinking on that. Base Elden Ring felt a bit awkward without it, especially when contrasting it to how well ds3's character controller and bosses harmonized.
Mortal Shell II upends the soulslike formula by removing the stamina bar, resulting in a brutal, non-stop action experience. Featuring elaborate dungeons, a satisfying parry system and insanely clever bosses, it ends up being a remarkable Black Metal-infused fantasy. My review for Seasoned Gaming.
Thank you so much for having me! @seasonedgaming.com and congrats @playstack.com @mortalshellgame.bsky.social @thehashtagonist.bsky.social
This was a wonderful review Andres, great job! I hadn't heard about the constant eclipse thing before but that sounds super interesting - going to 100% be picking this up at some point so I'll have to try that! 😄
I saw the easier setting disabled achievements which really upsets me 😣
Black Metal, you say 😳🤘
The beta is awesome. I liked the first MS, but this is a leaps and bounds major improvement. Really looking forward to getting the full game later this week. I just wish your progress from the beta would carry over. At least we can skip the prologue.
you should have opened with the words black metal 😆
Super excited to say that I will be streaming Mortal Shell 2 this evening at 6PM BST 🕺🏻✨ Thank you so much to @playstack.com for providing me with a code for the Devout edition! Hope to see you there? 👀✨ twitch.tv/tncarly
But @arrontk.bsky.social said you hated "Mortal Shell." Like, a lot.
Shell yeah! 😄 (sorry TMNT, use it or lose it haha)
Congrats! I hope you have a lot of fun and that the game is good. 🙌🙏
😭I missed my chance to get devout edition on physical because they sold out fast. Physical copy coming later this week
I reviewed Mortal Shell II and had a damn blast. Beautiful game, well considered gameplay options, and one of the best souls-likes out there. giantbomb.com/reviews/mort...
Ooooh baby let’s freaking go Chuck. Played the beta and thought it was a blast.
Great review that might just makes me pick it up. Didn’t have it on my radar at all.
I loved the Demo and this review probably seals it for to grab it when I am able to. Chanks Thuck
How does it compare to the first game?
Funny how it sounds like I had the same experience with the first game as you. (Maybe the only game I've successfully refunded on steam?) The beta for this one really reset my expectations in a big way - I would probably never have tried it out otherwise. Very smart move by the devs
Sounds great, thanks, Chuck! May I ask how long a playthrough roughly could be?
'Mortal Shell II' Reviews: GiantBomb 4.5/5 Seasoned Gaming 8/10 Console Creatures 7/10 COGCONNECTED 90 GamesRadar+ 4/5 IGN 8/10 OC 86: opencritic.com/game/20988/m... MC PC 84: www.metacritic.com/game/mortal-...
Game Lodge na foto ☝️🤓
As someone who really likes non-From soulslike games, I had a great feeling about this one. Removing the stamina bar seems to be the thing that'll get me in, wanted to like the first game but fell off quick. If it's at least as fun as Surge 2 or Thymesia I'll love it!