Columbia House, the mail-order music club, is shutting down
sure Columbia House would get you 12 tapes or CDs for a penny, but turning a gallon of sewage into clean water takes less than 2 pennies and somehow we're the ones still making ends meet.
I’m old enough to have almost fallen for this (the deal, not you guys, you guys are legit)until I learned about reading the fine print 😮
The first album I ever bought from Columbia House was Men at Work's debut album There's a joke here but I'm too tired to make it
Oh you're making ends meet, alright. 😉
Every 90s teenager getting their first taste of scamming the system and getting something over on The Man was abusing the 10 CDs for a penny Columbia House offer with a bunch of fake neighbors like Haywood Jablowme and Hugh Jass
my god, i'd totally forgot about this. how many times did i do it? man, not enough and somehow too much.
I was a BMG guy, personally. Get my 7 CDs or whatever, buy my single obligatory one, cancel, repeat with a slightly different version of my name (middle name, middle initial, shortened version of my first name). They didn't care that it was all from the same address. That's on them!
Ben Dover and Pete Moss over here. Good times.
And we got exposed to the musical stylings of En Vogue, Carly Simon, and much much more!
Also enjoyed people trying to return Columbia House CD’s for store credit at Tower Records. I’d let them get indignant repeatedly insisting they bought them there before I’d show them where it said on the label they came from Columbia House
Columbia House shutting down is the perfect opportunity to share one of my favorite pieces EVER: the time I spoke to former employees about what it was like to work there for @avclub.com: www.avclub.com/four-columbi...
I went to college in Terre Haute, IN, where Columbia House was located. Once a year they’d have a warehouse sale. People started lining up the night before.
there was a time when 95% of my albums/tapes/cds came from columbia house and .... that other one whose name escapes me. and i always fulfilled my end of the deal!
This is SO GOOD, Annie. So much more than just Columbia House. 90s jobs, indie vs mainstream rock, selling out, creatives...it's a perfect time capsule in so many ways. Thank you for that.
LOL - a high-point in my interview career. Thankyou! Shared it with a couple of folks who last night were like, "hey, didn't you...?" Trying to remember the hook that you were working off, wasn't it also...closing? (I was at NPR Music at the time and they did a All Songs Considered segment as well.)
Great piece! It reminded me of the existence of the Muze database—I worked at J&R Music World in the early 90s and we had a standalone terminal that we used in conjunction with the Schwann catalog, which I’d also forgotten about.
This graf from this story is something I think about all the time. The music industry in the 90s had built itself such a fabulous apparatus for separating money from people that it was literally hubristic. They thought they could never be touched.
A roundtable with me and three former co-workers of note—five years before Dada Strain (an editor at NPR Music att, they asked I keep it OTR) When I say I've seen some sh!t, shared some sh!t, and was shaped by it, I'm not humble-bragging, just stating that what you gain from experiences matter.
This is so good. And 2015 seems like a lifetime ago.
Thank you for this. Super shady, but it accidentally got me into Jimi Hendrix, when “Smash Hits” arrived in a summer camp care package, because I wasn’t there to return the No Thank You CH slip. Counselor Mac: “It’s Acid Rock. Go check it out!” Cracked my 6th grade brain all the way open! 💥 🎸
Surprisingly hard to find, but obligatory archive.org/details/alan...
R.I.P. Columbia House (1955-2026) The largest mail-order music and physical media club in the world during its peak will shutter after 71 years. pitchfork.com/story/columb... #MusicSky
I kept thinking Time-Life which I guess is still around
It's astounding that 8-track cartridges were around long enough for the STAR WARS soundtrack to make its way onto that format.
I loved their CD club! I got to hear new things I wouldn’t consider purchasing. I forgot to send one back once and never again 🤣
I had a sketchy roommate in college who repeatedly signed up for the initial offer, but under different names. Somehow they never caught on to the same address popping up, but he had a wide variety of subscribers: Mr. E. Mann, Nosuch Pearson, A. Lee S. Jones, D. B. Cooper, etc
My Mom found out about this record club when the records started arriving by mail.Columbia had Broadway sewed up.Original Cast Albums were more expensive than the average, getting them free made sense to me.But later my meager allowance went to pay the piper.With A Little Bit of Luck Mom chipped in.
Didn’t realize it was still around. Most people stream these days, so closing makes sense.
here's some news: columbia house is shutting down here's some other news: columbia house is still a thing www.yahoo.com/entertainmen...
RIP to the greatest scam of all time. we got basically free tapes and records, and all we had to do was plead ignorance when our parents got a letter and a bill
It’s probably because I owe them $100+ from always ripping them off.
Hahaha! 16 year old me got away with it!
Columbia House the 71-year-old mail-order music club that is somehow still operating in 2026, is finally shutting down for good. ”After 9/15/26, Columbia House will no longer be accepting new orders,” reads a recent message on its website. “You can still purchase books with your credit card online
No way? Still? This must be connected to the end of minting the penny. 😟
Ma probably had to cough up like $200 before it was all over with that for me. There were a few solid ones, not really near enough.
Got some cool stuff from them over the years - at least half my Weird Al cassettes for sure.
There was a guy at my fraternity house who just kept making new names to sign up for Columbia House with. Will never forget the box of CDs addressed to Josey Wales.
Your friend was an outlaw
A fraternity house I frequented had a giant bulletin board dedicated to collection notices from Columbia House addressed to the likes of Ted Nugent, Fred Rogers and Elvis Van Halen.
We 100% did this in college. Yul B. Sauri was legendary. So was Alice N. Vunderlund. Dudes would camp out trying to intercept the mail every day, it was chaos.