Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma premieres to strong notices
Saw a cis straight reviewer of Camp Miasma say he liked the movie but claimed Jane was being too “self-indlugent” and needs to make other things that are just their personal experience and I’m like… is this a critism you would apply to Christopher Nolan?
Quite frankly, I think if you’re a filmmaker and you make a film that isn’t at least a little self-indulgent, you’re doing it wrong
Imagine them getting mad at George Lucas for making three movies in a row about a guy named Luke
I haven't seen Camp Miasma yet but I saw a trans woman making a similar criticism and I'm...a little baffled? It's not just a point you could make of Nolan, nearly every director with a strong personal style is like that.
Tarantino has never received that criticism and he drank tequila off Salma Hayek's foot...
damn, what a brain dead criticism. I didn't love Camp Miasma but the self indulgence is the biggest reason i liked it.
I just saw it today, had my mind blown, and am desperate to hear the thoughts of someone smarter than me about it.
Translation: “trans people should only make tragic transition stories where they stare sadly in mirrors and then suffer to teach us all a valuable lesson about acceptance”
Hmmmm definitely seeing a trend in people calling trans art as "self-indulgent"but truly what is the point of art other than cor creators to be self-indulgent?
SCHOENBRUN DOES IT AGAIN after dying for the whole month trying to avoid discussions until it finally came out in our remote slasher town, sweet release!
ah damn see this being week three is a problem because now is when the wave of enthusiasm for a movie is met with "I didn't care for it actually" and picking it apart with an air of superiority. but hey, fuck those people, I'm enjoying enjoying it. having sour gummi worms and mini chewy sweet tarts
I'm on the way to see it right now
I just saw it last night, it's so good!!!!
The only useful spoiler is that you will crave candy. Bring or buy some.
i’m glad you were able to dodge spoilers!!
Gonna go see it a second time tomorrow! I read some thoughtful negative stuff but am remaining resolute and in the zone of cool.
jazzed about Teenage Sex and Death but underwhelmed by letterboxd rec lists that don't scratch that Camp Miasma itch? I've put together a bunch of films that I GUARANTEE you won't see recommended anywhere else. #horror #movies #queer
ok. y'all know how much of a horror nerd i am. so please don't take it lightly when i say this is a fabulous list! i have already gushed about many of these elsewhen, but there are a few on here i haven't seen yet and they all look fabulous.
“This film is perhaps the first ever stoner romcom age gap yuri eroguro”is such a delightful sentence, as someone who has seen the film and feels this description is laser targeted at me also this is a excellent list and, having seen more than half of the films on it, i co-sign these recs
I felt as good coming out of Teenage Sex and Death At Camp Miasma as I felt bad coming out of I Saw the TV Glow
really good way of putting it, like it's got a similarly strong and targeted emotional punch but it's hopeful of course as it turned out tv glow was supposed to be hopeful too, but the problem there is that *I'm* not
I cried hysterically for over an hour after ISTTVG, just to calibrate
Jane Schoenbrun is so much and I hate that I have to wait a couple of years for her to make another movie lol
The downside is, however, I am sad that I can't just watch old horror movies from the video store while eating Twizzlers for a full weekend.