Russ Abbot recalls 1984 success and his exit
This interview with Russ Abbott by @shattenstone.bsky.social is lovely. Abbott had a career, a good one. He had a lovely time. And then he stopped. And that's fine. www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio...
He booked a table the restaurant I was working in when I was a student (1995?). His birthday was in the paper so we gave him the whiskey mini we gave guests for special occasions - he was all “How did they know? Did you tell them?” to his wife. They were both lovely and mystified as to how we knew!
Thanks so much Jay, that's really kind of youi. Hope all's good
And the rest of today’s ear worm is … youtu.be/6QEkUINpAsg?...
It really is lovely , @shattenstone.bsky.social
I really hope he's as lovely as he comes over in that interview.
I read this first thing this morning, it really filled me with joy to see a man who entertained so many enjoying a proper retirement in the sunshine. Good on him!
So much of ths comedy of Abbott's era is pretty nasty if you watch it now. Sometimes including his, albeit to a lesser degree than most. What's clear though is that he never made that a hill to die on. He recognised the world was changing, and stepped away. I'm glad he's happily retired.
It also speaks for Abbott, I think, that he says he doesn’t much like the alternative comedy wave that replaced his style of stuff - and is able to leave it at that.
This is, like all Simon Hattenstone interviews, magnificent. Just the best to do it. And especially lovely if, like me, you adored Russ and his menagerie as a little kid.
One thing that really struck me in the interview, he's obviously one of those people who worked their arse off because he knew it wasn't going to last forever.
What a lovely interview. Russ Abbott seems a man very much at peace with himself and his life.
Strong run of 1980s flashbacks incoming...
Accidentally dropped a big bag of illicit substances in front of him in a hotel lift in Huddersfield many moons ago. Complete your own captions etc…
I will die on this hill, but Atmosphere is a stone-cold BANGER.
Loved Russ Abbot as a kid. I had a Russ Abbot annual 😅. Nice to see he's living a quiet, happy life with his wife and doesn't seem to have become a wrong 'un.
How do we feel about him killing Captain Tom though
Does Russ Abbott look like Robert Forster?
Watched in Him live in Great Yarmouth , Where he did a sketch as Cooperman riding the Roller coaster at the town's Pleasure beach , where actually filmed in one of cars on the roller coaster and high speed crashed in a brick wall. His comedy timing at the time was brilliant.
This was a lovely read. If you grew up in the 70s or 80s Russ Abbot was absolutely everywhere. And while many from that generation of comedians don’t or can’t quite understand why comedy had to change, personally I still really appreciate what he did. www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio...
There are a couple of slight oof bits in that interview. But I think it’s okay to recognise problematics while appreciating the whole as something much bigger, and beneficial. And when you’re dealing with 80s comedy you’re going to find a lot of those oof bits, even with alternative comedy.
I loved the Russ Abbott Show. I still have one of his annuals somewhere at my folks' house. The Die Hard sketch where he replaced Bruce Willis with Bruce Forsyth lives rent free in my head even 30+ years later!
My grandad was a comedy writer, I remember him telling me he’d written for Russ Abbot and thinking that was the most glamorous thing ever.
Not russ Abbott but Rik Mayall guest staring in a Cannon & Ball sketch was my punk rock moment when i was a kid.
This is just a gorgeous article for anyone around in the 80s & 90s, I smiled through the whole piece and it brought back such lovely family memories, plus Russ does remind me of my dad in so many ways
Come across as true gentleman! Glad he’s retired and enjoying himself. Some older celebrities need to take note. John Cleese…
Ask @theednawatkins.bsky.social about his history with Mr Abbot
The Basildon Bond monologue he did in the interview. Made me laugh all over again.
Did he create a happy atmosphere?
Quite possibly the most famous celebrity from Chester too.
Oh gosh it really is a lovely article! Good for him. His wife sounds like a legend.
If I’m honest I was never a fan, even as a kid but he’s very hard to hate and I love how refreshingly unbitter he is for an old school entertainer. www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio...
He does get very close to saying the classic “Alternative comedy? The alternative is it’s not funny?” but pulls away at the last moment.
Lovely to see someone enjoying their retirement after working so hard for so long. I remember liking his work with Freddie Starr more. In retrospect as a younger child I enjoyed the extreme behaviour that came from from him being mentally unwell. Freddie presumably off limits in this interview.
Russ's 'I Like To Party' album is pure joy, and I won't hear a word said against it...