National Guard members speak out about Washington D.C. deployment
There are so many places these soldiers are needed for help with disasters around the country—Gary, Indiana, for example— and instead they’re being put up in luxury hotels and apartments in DC at a cost of 3 million dollars a day, a symbol of the president’s insecurity. www.npr.org/2026/08/24/n...
Also a declaration that he’ll never leave power peacefully
I definitely see our troops & law enforcement officers as an extension of ICE (ie, cruel, incompassionate). They've become Trump's toy soldiers & even tho I know not all of them agree with Trump's policies, they carry them out anyway. After WWII, the line "I was just doing my duty" stopped working.
you pass them every two blocks, just getting their steps in
Will he send them home when his perfectly secure ballroom is built?
President Trump is threatening to sue the Center for American Progress over a research paper criticizing the National Guard presence in DC. The First Amendment guarantees organizations can share their opinions without fear of retribution.
Courts must support the 1st!
As DC public students get out of their first day of school, at least 10 National Guard troops from Arkansas marching around or loitering in a single block of Columbia Heights #freedc #possecomitatus
Occupied DC, even more occupied than it normally is.
The Arkansas National Guard was the guard unit that was signing D.C. state flags as if they were captured battle flags.
I beg someone to explain to me what “common ground” there is to be found with an administration that has ordered a military occupation of my city, and why finding that common ground is desirable.
This is all some bullshit and people need to be livid
Inspired by Mike’s post, I built @ngwatchdc.bsky.social . You post a photo of the National Guard and a location, and it will search DC crime data for the last time there was a violent incident nearby.
This is my first bot and I’m sure I’ll be tweaking it and improving it UNTIL THE GUARD GO HOME, but I’m ridiculously pleased it successfully parsed “Starburst plaza,” because proper name (instead of address) locations and fuzzy matching were the things I added today!
Also worth mentioning that DC puts a LOT of data online and the APIs to build on top of it are also free. So this kind of use is highly accessible and fun.