Andrew Garfield's new historical drama revealed as Robin Hood origin film
'The Uprising' has been revealed to be a Robin Hood movie 🏹 Starring Andrew Garfield Releasing in theaters September 11
No Robin Hood movie will ever live up to Disney's.
They spent over $100 million on a movie and deliberately conflated Wat Tyler with Robin Hood?! Never spending money on that nonsense
I cannot emphasize how disappointing this is. It was angling to be a common man drama. I hope it is verrrrry loosely based and not Garfield screaming about being Robinhood. The trailer would suggest it's a loose adaptation hopefully
Is it gonna be like at the end of The Dark Knight Rises where that lady calls Joseph Gordon Levitt "Robin" and he could have just been some other guy, he didn't need to be Robin
That makes NO sense whatsoever. It's *definitely* a Peasant's Revolt movie. Richard II is the monarch. Cosmo Jarvis is playing Wat Tyler. All of which is over 150 years AFTER the death of King John. I was looking forward to this movie, but this kind of bullshit makes me LESS likely to go.
YES! MORE ROBIN HOOD! CAN'T GET ENOUGH! THE STORY NEEDS TO BE RE-TOLD MORE THAN TWICE A YEAR!!! SAME WITH KING ARTHUR! CREATIVITY THRIVES!!! ... -_-
Why is Robin Hood grey instead if green? Why does everything have to come with a gritty filter?
I would never have guessed it was a Robin Hood movie.
Worried that your medieval epic is about to bomb? Just add Robin Hood!
Can we just accept that adaptions of Robin Hood peaked with Maid Marian and Her Merry Men?
I hope he's got no pants on down there
Ugh, I hate it when remakes screw around with the source material. This guy looks nothing like a fox.
wat Well, I mean, apparently *not* Wat...
No fuck you. I like Robin Hood but it's at the same spot Superman was until Gunn came along. Meaning we've had 40 years of deconstructing Robin Hood without anyone reconstructing him. This is just more of the same. No one cares because there's been no reason given for us to care.
There’s been a weird trend this year of studio executives taking movies like THE END OF OAK STREET, AVENGERS DOOMSDAY and now THE UPRISING and asking, “How can we market this in a way the public *won’t* want to watch this?” Paul Greengrass’s tale of collective action is not some superhero origin 🫤
You thought we were doing the 14th century Peasants Revolt? Uhhhhhhhh actually it's Robin Hood. Definitely always meant to be Robin Hood and not the 14th century Peasants Revolt. Yup.
listen, I only want Robin Hood if it's properly weird, with horned guys in the woods, Richard O'Brien getting up to weird shit in a castle, the sense of the land giving us a hero, & Robin is an ethereally beautiful man with long hair Basically yes Robin of Sherwood is peak.
Ahem Clannad on the soundtrack too pls youtube.com/shorts/uTkCB...
Robin of Sherwood with Michael Praed was peak. Was not the same when Jason Connery stepped in. Also agree with the other posts about the Clannad soundtrack.
At the moment I'd settle for simply having a Robin Hood with a Yorkshire accent 🤦♀️ (the main historical figure that he's based on is proper Yorkshire) These films are literally getting further and further away from a genuine representation 😆
I tend to claim Cadfael as a major influence, but really, this was the thing. ‘The Swords of Wayland’…
I'll take a weird gritty version all the time but I would also have accepted a muppets version but with Alan Rickmans sheriff as the only human!
Yes. The current attempts are all mud, swords, and bad lighting. Gritty, male gaze Robin Hood. Robin of Sherwood was female gaze Robin Hood.
The news that we are getting yet another Robin Hood movie reminds me of my continuing surprise we haven’t yet got an announced “MCU-style” Arthurian cinematic universe advertised as inspired by game of thrones which gets cancelled after the underwhelming performance of its Sword in the Stone kickoff
Exactly this type of thing! With a post credits scene in which he wakes after another night of debauchery to find Merlin in his quarters inviting him to be part of a bigger universe
Kinda already happened! Ritchie wanted to do six Arthur films but the first one was a flop. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Ar...
Do a Lancelot film of him screwing his way through half of France before fleeing to Britain lest an the angry husbands get their hands on him
'GALAHAD will return in ... Arthur: Ragnarok'
Did you catch that Pathé was trying to set up a Three Musketeers Cinematic Universe a few years back
This gave me a nice fifteen second walk of wanting to make a Marion Zimmer Bradley source material joke then remember that oh ribht she’s BAD bad and then being sad about it.
iPhone footage of a movie theater crowd losing its mind as Kevin Costner Robin Hood steps out of a portal in the woods, joining Andrew Garfield and Cary Elwes.
Was Prince of Thieves any good? I mean, I saw it in theaters and have seen it since then and my gut instinct would be to say no, it was not. And yet, if it was coming on cable right now and I only had to push one button to put it on, I’d probably watch it.
The whole third act is about developing an app for individual stock trading.
<swoops in on a web slinger> “And my axe”
Why would you saddle this movie with Robin Hood baggage? Like it's not a selling point anymore. www.darkhorizons.com/the-uprising...
I wasn't expecting this to be a truly historical account (as much as it could be) of the Peasant's Uprising story, but giving it a Robin Hood title is deeply annoying.
Changing the title less than a month before release, am I understanding this correctly? Seems not great even aside from the specific change being made (which I agree is also bad)
No this is smart. It’s like how in April they made it clear that The Odyssey is a Master & Commander prequel
They want to ride the coattails of that Robin Hood movie that just came out that nobody saw
The two most beloved depictions of Robin Hood are a technicolor bonanza from the 1930s and a literal cartoon, but we're still being subjected to stuff like this again and again.
We’ve already achieved peak Robin Hood. We can move on.
The weirdest thing about Ridley Scott's Robin Hood is that it appeared to be attempting some sort of bizarre neoliberal reframing of "steal from the rich to give to the poor" as "the peasants are suffering because the Barons pay too much tax to the King."
what the public truly demands is a visionary new spin on the story of Tarzan