SpaceX launches Starship on first orbital test flight
SpaceX just launched the 14th Starship test flight, and it's now successfully in orbit for the first time. This is an amazing achievement, and I absolutely detest how Musk has ruined this sort of thing both for me and for humanity.
I want to celebrate the achievement of the engineers!
For me it’s not Musk who ruins it (even though yes, he’s a total turd), it’s the people who’re superfans of him who absolutely will not let the achievements of the SpaceX engineers be celebrated without attributing all the credit to Musk, a guy who has literally nothing to do with their successes.
Very much the same. At least Von Braun was a *former* Nazi when Saturn V launched. This is like if Von Braun was still running slave labor on the side during Apollo. It's an amazing technological achievement from a company led by an absolute monster.
Um, they’ve sent five to Mars already, right?
I used to watch every static test fire, every launch, every landing attempt when F9 was finding its wings. Now your post is the only thing I’ve seen about Starship in months, and I don’t plan to learn more about it. 😕
Yep. Ditto the first successful new US car company in 50+ years and it's electric.
That's it. I used to be really excited about SpaceX's successes. Now I think about the photos of children dying of malnutrition because of Musk (there are plenty of other issues, like the fact that Musk is meddling in the domestic politics of many countries, but the deaths of children are enough).
It’s honestly not even that amazing of an achievement. It took Starship 14 flights to accomplish the bare minimum expected of a launch vehicle, and even then it’s not exactly been a smooth flight.
100% agree. The only good thing Elon ever did was use all that money to start a space company, hire very smart people to make it work, and get out of their way and just be the loud PR guy. So of course he has to fuck up the vibes around it now.
Bluesky likes to pretend that SpaceX’s rockets are failures. It’s actually a big problem that the most successful rocket company with the most reliable rocket ever flown, which the US government is dependent on, is controlled by a Nazi. Ignoring reality isn’t helpful.
LAUNCH! Starship Flight 14 launches from Starbase Pad 2 on its first orbital mission attempt. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gDx...
Wish I could enjoy watching a launch again but NASA teaming up with SpaceX fronted by Elon Musk just destroys it for me.
TERRIFYING that #ElonMusk right now is having to decide whether to put Starship Flight 14 in orbit which would save SpaceX share price for now, but risk losing control of a enormous ballistic missile which could land anywhere on earth 🥶
Calling this sh*t "starship" and "starbase" doesn't make it so. space karen can't figure out how to get folks to Mars so he gets to play pretend space explorer. moron.
@jfoust.bsky.social @lorengrush.bsky.social @ryancaton.co.uk Starship going into orbit without independent self-contained RCS/OMS is delusional, stupid, and dangerous.
I hope it ends in a disaster. Fvck Elon and Space X.
Fuck SpaceX, Musk and the Military Industrial Complex.