Tom Cruise's Digger earns mixed reviews
i hate digger and i love how much i hate digger. i am going to see the movie again in two days with more friends. it is climate change freddy got fingered
This is a fantastic review and actually has me intrigued
“it is climate change freddy got fingered” Of all the brand new sentences the universe can conjure up, that one may be the most
Thank you for articulating the vague unease I felt watching the trailer. I don't *want* to watch it... but I DO... but I hate myself for wanting to...
I Can Only Hope Some Of This Is Being Culled For Song Material
I am more determined than ever to get my hands on a print of the Ed Ruscha poster
I loved the movie, strikingly imaginative and original. Tom Cruise stepped entirely out of his action-hero persona, a performance worthy of an Oscar. It is art, fun to watch, and stunning. A highlight includes a blistering 10-minute sequence where Cruise delivers a rant to EU delegates—A must-see!
I kind of really want to see this because it seems so aggressively unpleasant on purpose?
So... the movie should have been called 'Freddy Got Fracked,' instead?
This review got me: I’m IN. #Digger (More TK, after I’ve watched it😂)
Literally, a rave review of Digger
This is the best review of DIGGER because this is exactly how you're meant to experience it. Two thirds of the way through the film two characters get into a screaming match about the differences between satire and farce, cementing that it's all on purpose. I don't know how reviewers are missing it.
There is something attractive about the idea of hating a movie so much that you'll take friends to see it again so you can hate watch it and share that hatred with friends. I'm also enjoying how divisive this film is among critics and audiences. Kind of a harmless microcosm of politics in 2026.
studio execs: “Tom Cruise is even weirder than normal! Digger!” NORMAL PEOPLE: “Well that’s disconcerting, I wonder if there’s a football game on.”
feel like this is actually tom cruise's first role *without* makeup and prosthetics
Digger yoinked my local true IMAX screen away from The Odyssey, which was still selling out all but the first two rows, before I could see it, so I am extra salty about this movie
Tim has been trying to build a movie around his Topic Thunder character for decades.
Other Normal People: "Tom Cruise is in it? Hard pass."
But also, fuck Tom Cruise.
I almost went when I read the spoilers, but I feel they missed a level of crazy from them so stayed away.
I genuinely think Digger would look more interesting if Tom Cruise was doing the same performance but with no prosthetics at all. He's already a 64 year old multi-millionare. He's what they look like.
that would require self-reflection, the one stunt he seems incapable of doing
I'm interested in the film, but Tom Cruise being the lead (what with the scientology and all) is the least engaging part for me, prosthetics or no. If it was someone like Steve Buscemi I'd be all over it. Hell, maybe even Michael Keaton since they didn't give him the Oscar for Birdman.
It IS mad Cruise will have spent so much money on not looking his age, then needing all that covered up with prosthetics. Less preposterous than someone who is secretly balding and wearing a toupee to cover it, being given a bald cap for a part OVER THE TOP..?
Over at X The Everything App Alfonso Cuaron is defending the bad reviews Digger is getting by citing some ChatGPT summary that said Under The Skin got bad reviews on first release and is now considered a modern masterpiece and I'm like "That's not true Ellen"
I understand coming to the defense of your bud’s new movie but a Dr Strangelove pastiche isn’t an example of “The Shock of the New”, we just had a Strangelove pastiche a couple of years ago with Don’t Look Up
1) It’s cool that Under the Skin is taking that stature previously extended to Kubrick or Welles. 2) Under the Skin had shooters from Cahiers du Cinema and other high level cinephiles. This one maybe doesn’t. 3) Glazer isn’t a showboat who loves the sound of his voice. Nor someone who whines.
Oddly enough... I did think of Gravity.
One day we will look back on Digger as the L'Avventura of today.
I am so excited to go watch Digger. I keep seeing intensely negative reviews and they're all probably pretty correct but I am still excited because it's such a rare treat to get a specifically fossil fuel themed movie and they're not all going to be Daniel Day Lewis with his milky shakes
I actually kind of loved it. It’s not even about climate — it’s about the culture of liberal hypocrisy and disavowal.
Is it out?? I have it on my list but I'm very behind
I think this is a very artistic film, whether it’s flawed or not.
Where were all these "we need more movies like this" arguments when Mickey 17 or Good Luck, Have Fun, Don't Die bombed? Why does Digger and that piece of shit Tom Cruise get all the "THIS MOVIE IS SINGLE HANDEDLY SAVING CINEMA EVEN THOUGH NO ONE LIKES IT" defenses? 😂
I don't know. I haven't seen Digger, maybe I'd like it. But this reeks to me of the same shit that happens every time Tom Cruise makes a movie. Suddenly everyone acts like the dude is saving cinema even if his movie is bombing. 😂
I feel like people who glaze up and worship Tom Cruise as the savior of movies are the same types that loudly bitch about franchise movies like the MCU and also don’t watch many movies. The last Tom Cruise movie I saw was MI Dead Reckoning and I had an absolutely miserable time at it.
Man, i love being on BlueSky where i can ignore all that propaganda. Didn't hear anything. So far everyone i met said: A) i'm not gonna watch it B) i watched it's terrible C) i watch it, it's terrible, please watch to testify how awful it is
because we weren't quite at merger monopoly like this yet
Yeah, I'm NOT bothering to see this for three reasons: 1. Tom Cruise and his Scientology ties. 2. The minimal marketing I saw leaving me more confused than anything. 3. I just don't have the time to go to the movies this weekend (even IF I wanted to see this).
The marketing is so weird I literally dont know what its about at all and ive seen like 20 ads of it
#1 is all I've needed to not watch any movie starring Tom Cruise in several past years.
Well once one knows the twist it becomes even more befuddling how it got marketed the way it was. It feels like another Joker: Folie à Deux situation where Warner Bros. is marketing a very different movie than it is.
From the 3 ads that I saw it's about a billionare digging to the center of the earth to stop climate change? I guess?
With David Ellison's Skydance taking control of Warner Bros, Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s's Digger may be the last gasp of free speech in cinema. With a stunning Tom Cruise performance, this satirises oil oligarchs and liberal arts in equal measures; a 5/5 masterpiece. film-authority.com/2026/10/03/d...
Might go today or tomorrow, or save it for the peace and quiet of a midweek, mid afternoon, near empty cinema.
Absolute Marmite this one, it seems: five stars or zero stars all around. On your recommendation I’ll give it a go.
Scientology, ha my brain does still work.
I don't watch movies with Tom Cruise. He is a member of this cult (the name escapes me at the moment, damn)
I expected this would catch some heat for a variety of reasons. Iñárritu’s a good director and Cruise's creative instincts are usually pretty reliable. I'll let the furor die down before dipping my toes in.
Excellent review, glad to see one that doesn't automatically dismiss this film because the reviewer didn't get it.