BBC reveals first look at CBeebies' Doctor Who: TARDIS Crew
I've got a good idea for how the BBC should pick the live action show's next showrunner. Ask them how this show fits into canon. If they give any answer other than 'what on earth are you talking about?' 'who cares?' or 'grow up', they are immediately disqualified:
Alternatively: if they say "no idea but if you really need it to I can do it in a line of dialogue" they can go on the shortlist
Any real Doctor Who fan could come up with multiple answers in seconds, in other words I agree with you entirely
If only there was historical precedent for a doctor who spinoff show to play on cbbc in lived memory 😔
Mine would be "same place the Cushing films fit into it" a) because I'm a smartarse and b) because I really like Moffat's idea that they're in-universe media inspired by The Doctor (a poster for one of the movies was going to be in Day of The Doctor but the BBC couldn't get the copyright!)
I prefer the Lower Decks explanation of "at least one person is canonically wasted at all times". Might be hard to work into a kids show though. youtu.be/HHQYsbvWfXU?...
Should be the answers they give if they are asked about any part of the Doctor Who "canon" beyond are the daleks bad guys. The need for there to be some grand standing overarching plot just doesn't actually help doctor who, as seen from the last fews season of nuwho
More broadly: its time to take showrunning away from the nerds. 'How does it fit into the canon?' 'Who gives a shit we're writing a television show not fan fiction'
Why does it always go in this direction? I’d watch the flip out of a live-action HBO-style Paw Patrol or Fireman Sam.
If you're old enough to shave and already criticizing this on the basis of a single image, or questioning how the show will fit into established #DoctorWho continuity, I respectfully suggest you get a life. www.bbc.com/mediacentre/...
But the TARDIS lock in that image expressly contradicts dialogue edited out of the first episode of The Sensorites! Someone should be fired for that blunder
Anyone who is getting in a huff about fitting this into continuity, let me introduce you to John and Gillian. Looks exactly what a pre-school Who animation ought to look like, as far as I can see. Breaking away from the live action series to do their own thing is a smart move.
I WANT it to fit into the continuity just to see the meltdowns. I need popcorn.
This might be asking too much from the fandom that annually lost their shit over the yearly comedy episode during Matt Smith's run.
I had a couple of friends message me just to complain about all this looks, and all I could muster was "It’s for 4 year olds so I don’t have a super strong opinion haha"
All I need to know is does it resolve the Billie Piper regeneration?* *<sarcasm>
For those worrying how the CBeebies #DoctorWho show will fit into the precious continuity - there, I solved your problems!
my only actual complaint ftom seeing this image is the doctor's design doesn't have doctor vibes in my eyes
Okay but will it resolve the Billie Piper regeneration scene issue-
A whole new generation of #DoctorWho fans are about to begin their own adventure! 🌟 Here is your first look at DOCTOR WHO: TARDIS CREW, a brand new animated series coming soon to CBeebies and BBC iPlayer. Find out more 👉 bbc.in/46YLFMi
The 80s trend of "Animated series based on a normal show only now they're kids" is returning. Nature is healing.
Okay that's totally Kid Rick Sanchez, right?
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
When are The 456 appearing?
I don't disagree with them doing a dr who kids show, but the daleks probably shouldn't be in it. Imagine being a kid, seeing the goofy guys wirh plunger and spoon hands, and then seeing a scene of them as metaphor for fascism vaporizing people on the main show. Bit weird when dr who is so expansive.
We’re really doin British Rick and Morty now, hey?
Given the last decade or two of dr who scripts im worried this might constitute a form a child cruelty
Ahh, this is what people have been talking about! A whole bunch of "Manbabies whining because a children's show isn't being made for them" type comments suddenly make sense. 😆
The initial commitment is for more total runtime than either 15th Doctor season.
I don't know how I feel about this. Like, if you mentioned the idea of a zany cartoon version of Doctor Who I would be over the moon with excitement, yet almost everything here feels off. It doesn't give off Doctor Who vibes at all.
“How does this Doctor fit into continuity?” Between the weird off-model not-Hartnell from 60s merchandise and the unmade Nelvana series Doctor. Next question.
Just got me thinking of that Nelvana cartoon that never happened.
IMO, let it be this for a while. Let it exist as this for a decade, let a generation of kids be raised on this. We’re adults, not everything has to be for us, and we can go a few years without a fix. Let it recover, reform, and regrow.
huge news for people who grew up obsessed with david tennet and now watch rick and morty in shame
“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.” - The Fourth Doctor
Whovians, this isn't made for YOU. It's made for your kids. Let them have their own cute little version of the Doctor and be thankful The Wilderness Years 2.0 still has SOME version of the Doctor still on the air.
Fans like to claim Doctor Who needs to be rested becuase the ideas are getting stale the someone comes up with the idea of a companion who shoots TOAST out of his head when he’s scared, this show will never ever die!!! www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-fea...
Shooting toast out of a companion’s head was part of a new darker direction we were promised after The Twin Dilemma, but following the strong negative reaction, it was never acted on. Glad it’s finally made it to the screen.
Apologies for making assumptions about the toaster’s gender.
actually dodo did this as well but only in missing episodes
I wonder if Doctor Who fans will be normal about this. bbc.in/46YLFMi
It has *never* been established that timelords can grow blue hair, this makes a mockery of the show's history and I, for one, will not be watching. What next, a "female" Doctor?!
K-9 rolled so Toast-IE could run.
What a brilliant idea! As an old codger who started watching #DoctorWho during the Patrick Troughton era, I'm all for new ways to get the next generation on board. Who knows, the young kids tuning into this series may be settling down to watch The Mind Robber in 10 yrs. Best wishes to all involved.
Have anyone checked the twitter? I worry there might be some casualties.
Me before kids: That looks like an abomination and invalidates Hartnell's evolution as a character and makes a mockery of the Daleks. Me as a dad of a 4 yr old: That looks fun and might get at least one of my sons obsessed with Doctor Who at an early age 😁 #DoctorWho www.bbc.com/mediacentre/...
I'll probably be drummed out of the fandom for saying this, and I don't even have the excuse of having young kids, but I'm in! It's for children; if it's fun and well-made, I'm afraid I couldn't care less if it messes with the lore.
There really are people on socials who are so, so angry at content for preschoolers. It's actually repellent.
On the one hand, I don't get why people would get pissed off by this, it's a kids TV show. On the other, the Thunderbirds Are Go reboot makes me really angry and I really hope all involved suffer a (1/923)