Lloyd Cole's 'Rattlesnakes' lyric about Eva Marie Saint resurfaces
We watched 'North by Northwest' a few weeks back and were surprised by how naughty her character was allowed to be, given when it was made. That said, if you're as old as I am, mention of her name instantly generates Lloyd Cole and the Commotions' 'Rattlesnakes' as an earworm. 1/2
And if you're not as old as I am and are wondering, try it: it's an absolute mid-80s banger.
Her performance in NBNW is outstanding. In a movie that set the template for Bond and many modern action movies, she has both agency and a naughty sexiness in an era where female leads were often allowed neither. One of my all-time fave movies. RIP EMS
I admit I knew her best from her guest appearance in Frasier (as Roz's mother). Need to catch up with her classic roles.
*Lloyd Cole voice* She looks like Eva Marie Saint / in On The Waterfront
Just sang this to the partner to jog their memory, and they then reminded me that we only watched On The Waterfront about a year ago (which I had forgotten) - it’s great getting old with your partner
First thing that came to my mind too
Thanks for the earworm, Fiona!