Golden Axe gets adult animated comedy series on Paramount+, trailer released
Also now that Golden Axe trailer is out I can reveal this fanart I did back in 2024
Golden Axe | Official Trailer | Paramount+ (Sept 16) www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStb...
I was almost with it, thought it would be a fun watch… until I heard the trailer “Purple mutant bird thingies” knocked the wind out my sails. You can be comedic and still play the premise straight
Kind of odd that we're getting a Golden Axe show when there hasn't been a new GA game in 18 years (and that game was panned). I'm disappointed they're making this a comedy. I would've enjoyed seeing a sword & sorcery show that took itself as seriously as the source material.
Wow, they got the tone completely wrong lol. This should have been more like the Castlevania shows.
i thought we were finally done putting ill-fitting whedonist dialogue into literally every franchise man what a shame too because i think this animation looks pretty solid
What in the Adult Swim interstitial is this?
They are scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything they can adapt lol
I hope one day for a token "girl character" that isn't a snarky, spunky redhead trope
Anything you ever enjoyed or that got big off it's own back which was made in earnest was in fact shit, and you only enjoyed it because you were unintentionally being ironic without realising🤔 But if you make it intentionally ironically shit, it will then be good unironically? Or just fuck off
Tyris Flare deserves better than this
I know Lower Decks surprised all of us but this is the most Joss Whedon-y trailer I've seen in quite a bit
As one of the few Golden Axe fans still living, this feels like it was written by someone who grew up on Dorkly Parodies exclusively. I hope I'm wrong and the trailers just don't do it justice
babe wake up the trailer for Not Altered Beast, The Other One is out
I saw the screenshots and actually LOVED the art style, then I listened to some of the dialogues and man... It's like Rick and Morty and the MCU had a cruising night at some public bathroom...sigh.
...I think this looks fun, honestly. God forbid we have some whimsy apparently.
"On their trusty purple mutant thingies~" There's more than one type of humor. Please experience life.
Honestly, I know it has stronger branding but my biggest complaint is if they were going to adapt a old-school Sega arcade game as a violent, tongue-in-cheek, adult cartoon Alien Storm would have been a much better fit
Golden Axe has some inherent silliness in it, but it's minimal. So it's strange to go into this direction which is apparently all comedy. Before I clicked this, was hoping for more of a Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal vibe....and yeeeeeah, this ain't that.
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I just want some straightforward, earnest fantasy we've had a lot of goofy wink-and-a-smile shit for decades now and sometimes it's great, I loved that D&D movie but most times I just can't bring myself to care, especially if the characters don't
If I recall correctly, I believe a number of the Lower Decks team moved to this project after that series ended. That was also a show with a horrible trailer that ended up being wonderful once it got going. I'm hoping the same thing happens here, but the tone of the trailer is not reassuring.
They should have done Altered Beast
"Woah, like the game?! Let's freaking go!!" Ah, so that's where the Mighty No 9 marketing team ended up.
dont worry, it on paramount plus, so barely any people are going to known it exist (srsly, that streaming service only marketes sports above all else)
I hope we grow out of our self conscious love for stuff like this so we don’t have to either make it grim dark OR *this* Golden Axe doesn’t have to be a silly comedy because you played it as a child. You can take this stuff “kind of” seriously
Saw the trailer for the Golden Axe animated series and...
I understand that comedy is inevitably going to make some kind of meta-critique / observation of the material. But these jokes are so worn out, Goodwill wouldn't sell them. Also, why is it even a comedy? Why do we need yet ANOTHER "adult animated comedy," and why for fucking Golden Axe?
I genuinely watched it and went "Oh okay, so it's Lower Decks but with Golden Axe instead of Star Trek references" Then looked up who the creator of the Golden Axe show was and learned it's LITERALLY the creator of Lower Decks.
"hey, what do people who know this game like?" "Cringe. Absolute cringe." "Got it."
Hollywood writers are really afraid of sincerity aren’t they?
more death adder content at what cost
Way less cheap LOOKING than I would expect, but it just makes me wish they had committed harder to making the animation serious and dramatic, and instead of ironic sarcastic tone had the characters playing it straight. THEN make the world absurd. But at this point that's a wholly different show.
Golden Axe is coming!!! Rideable beasts and kickable elves await!! Had a lot of fun working on this. Sept 16 on Paramount+
A bunch of friends worked on this! Check it out! 🙌✨❤️
My man @wolfinsheeps.bsky.social was art director on this, and it very much shows in this preview still alone. Worth a look for sure despite not being at all familiar with the game.
this game did kick ass, to be fair.
Used to play the crap out of the golden axe games on the PSP genesis collection.
NEW TRAILER - The Paramount+ animated series GOLDEN AXE adapts the classic Sega video game. Streaming September 16. Three warriors fight through the fantasy land of Yuria on a quest to defeat Death Adder, who wields the Golden Axe.
I guess we don’t get hot centaur girl until season 2.
They're really phoning it in here
I'll give it a chance because getting a non-Sonic SEGA cartoon is super cool, I just wish it was more like Avatar or something and less like Krapopolis
I'm so psyched to see how this turned out. Everyone on the team crushed it at every stage of production, I'm so relieved it's going to see the light of day. MARK YOUR CALENDARS OR ELSE.
Got to do boards on this years ago, such a fantastic crew and fun premise!! Go watch it!!
The humor to this is so 2010's I half-expected someone to say "he's standing right behind me isn't he"
... this... this feels, like- 10 years out of date? This whole "tee-hee, we're self-conscious and ironic about our goofy premise" Rick & Morty shit?
This might be the greatest video game adaptation of 2014.
Y'all will do anything but port Revenge of Death Adder Istg
Well...at least there's Gennedy's CONAN to look forward to.
será que eles vão encontrar frango assado no meio das batalhas pra cura?
There's a "Golden Axe" CARTOON on the way?! SWEET! What are we getting? Some kind of "Fire & Ice" type swords and sorcery? Maybe they saw how ace Genndy Tartakovsky's "Primal" looked? * watches trailer * Oh..... oh no.....
If you're going to do a parody, I would think at the very least you could make it funny.
It views like a studio understanding of Critical Role. Vox and Nein has a bit of raunch in the swears and action, but primarily its got great drama and comedy. This is like asking a ChatGPT to breakdown elements of it without actually understanding the success of Vox & Nein is the actor clout.
But Gendndy is going to be making a Conan show
The first season of Star Trek: Lower Decks with met with a lot of similar hate and dismissal that Im seeing towards Golden Axe. Give it a chance! Mike McMahan shows always have a good heart at the center.
I for one am stoked and also jealous I didn't get to work on it
I'm sold by the gnome kicking, which is the heart and soul of Golden Axe. They should reuse the same gnome kicking animations like it's a Sailor Moon transformation.
Yes! I was already gonna give it a look because I love sword & sorcery stuff and I always try to support adult animation, but when I saw it was one of Mike's I was like ahhhhh, promising!!
I'm willing to give this a shot. I missed out on starting lower decks cuz I thought it looked too much like Rick and Morty at the time
Also, it was announced as a comedy, yet people are acting like they've been blindsided.
Honestly marketing needs a major shakeup in general because the way things are presented now just feel lackluster. I get they're supposed to be out of context samples however some of the time it falls flat despite the final release be
"LOWER DECKS" (same creator) for high-fantasy, tied to an arcade game you probly have to be as old as me to remember? Yeah, sure - I'll give it a shot 👍 youtu.be/sStbBtfGaLA?...
(In before "WHY DID THEY MAKE IT COMEDY THOUGH!!!???" about the barbarian game that named it's main muscle guy "Ax Battler." Fellas, the people MAKING this stuff did not take it gravely-serious - you were just 10 🤷♂️)
I'm ready to enjoy this for one season and then get pissed off when it's cancelled!
I would too if it wasn't on Paramount+ (My opposition is half what they did to Colbert and CBS News and just generally f*** the Ellisons, and half not wanting to pay for another streaming service.)
So proud of this. A swords and sorcery epic with funny characters and a ton of heart. Yuria/ the world of Golden Axe is scary and fun and you kick imps to get potions and ride a purple mutant while wearing a bikini.
The way the imp giggle from the classic arcade version is etched into my ghost
I played this game so much and I was amped to show my son shoulder tackling dudes of dinosaur...things, so I'm very excited for this too.
I need an animated gif of an elf yelling "shut up and take my gold coins!" Can't wait dude, congrats! (That goes for you too @bradwinters.bsky.social )
Congrats!! I'm always looking for more s&s fantasy stuff, this looks fun
Get out of my brain McMahan! 🤩
My 1991 self...playing Golden Axe II with my brother on our Genesis hooked up to the TV in the basement...is looking forward to this
Golden Axe cartoon with… …is that Keith David as a cat man? Well damn bsky.app/profile/wari...
The response to the Golden Axe trailer seems to be reminiscent of Masters of the Universe: apparently we can't do sword-and-fantasy media without couching it in being an ironic, somewhat embarrassed parody of itself.
Everything since Lord of the Rings has been a slide back into where fantasy films were *before* Lord of the Rings. I've got hopes for Wildwood, but that's not live action ...
Granted, as someone who sat through a lot of sword-and-sorcery movies earlier this year, it is a genre that... hasn't aged very well. But there's got to be something you do that isn't turning it into a spoof.
D&D provided the perfect template (and given the nature of the game was *more* suited to being ironic as nobody plays the game that seriously), but that's an exception.
I really don't think Golden Axe is the thing to hold to the standard here. It's not high fantasy and it's not pretending to be - it's a smash-em-up videogame and I think the parody of itself is appropriate in this context. The trailer looked fun!
Because you can't have the sexuality in it. Seeing as the amount of nudity you would need to put in it would break Zoomer and Alpha heads.
Sword and Sorcery died in the 80s with the likes of Conan, Beastmaster etc like you say it now has to have humour and less gratuitous violence, sex and nudity. If you write a serious movie it’s easier to tear apart so they hide behind parody to excuse themselves.