Experts rank 30 ideas to fix U.S. schools
Shot: "We asked 37 top academics and researchers who study education to rate a range of ideas for both effectiveness and cost, on a scale of 1 to 7." Chaser: "The panel included: Dominique Baker..." LOL y'all I read so many papers to complete this survey on k12 www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/u...
🙋♀️ Fellow homework-doer and "panelist" here
Fascinating! Some things (like high quality curriculum) are less straightforward than others, but overall a really good set of priorities. (Also wonder if something related to food ever made it into consideration)
So excited once I saw your name!
Fascinating Two things I'm (someone w zero expertise in ed research) surprised aren't more effective according to the panel: - improving HVAC (thus: air pollution & CO2, temperature control, *and* respiratory viruses leading to absences--3 mechanisms I'd expect to all matter) - teacher coaching
"Require full books" is ranked 25th out of 30 here, only a few above "Private school vouchers" and "Allow A.I. use." The explanation? "Some experts saw this as common sense, though there is little existing research."
New @nytimes.com piece ranks 30 education interventions on both effectiveness & costs. For me, the key takeaway is NOT about what academics (including myself) rated as most effective or least costly. It is about the decision making process districts use. 🧵 www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/u...
I don't disagree. But, as I wrote back to these reporters, I am most optimistic about projects that respond to the expressed concerns of students and teachers. These are the people who spend 180 days inside schools each year, and they're the key actors in the process of teaching and learning. 1/n
Vouchers aren't about effective education they're just another step in the long running effort to dismantle public education vote no on 3
School voucher haters stand up