Russell T Davies signals goodbye to Doctor Who
OTD 1988: #DoctorWho Remembrance of the Daleks One of Doctor Who’s most thrilling new beginnings And if you think Part One’s explosive… This story’s aftershocks include New Adventures, Counter-Measures and Pa Jass-Vortan II – The Time War Strikes Back!
While Doctor Who, as it has from the beginning, fights fascism And fights racists here more explicitly than ever After here linking Daleks, Nazis and racism in the streets, the following story will bring down a Thatcher-ish regime… …But tell me Doctor Who was never political until ‘These days’.
I did the special ed this afternoon.
A late Classic era classic. One of those great yet frustrating stories where the series was really finding itself again, but you knew the BBC just didn't care any more. If they'd have only stuck with it beyond the following season . . . !
I was 13 when this was on TV. I remember talking about THAT cliff-hanger with a school-friend the next day, it was so exciting. (I think aside from close friends, the only other person at my school who was still watching Doctor Who!)
I didn’t hate the second Russell T Davies era of Doctor Who like some fans did, but Ncuti regenerating into Billie Piper really *did* feel like Davies had officially run out of ideas and that, retroactively, maybe that whole run was a mistake.
The Rose Doctor thing won’t be *that* incredibly hard to resolve when Doctor Who finally comes back someday, but it also highlights how much more elegant the optimistic patchwork ending was the last time Doctor Who got cancelled without warning: youtu.be/HbE89K8u33w?...
see I felt dragging David Tennant and the rest of Davies' crew from the initial run he had on Doctor Who felt like it was running out of ideas already. And even though I understand Gatwa had some very good episodes, the first few he had were so rough I just checked out entirely.