WHO says suspected pneumonic plague case in Russia presents 'very low' risk
It is now almost certain that the 28-year old Russian bio-weapons lab researcher who suddenly died succumbed to pneumonic plague, the most dangerous and easily transmittable of all plague variants. This means that Russia continues to produce, and likely enhance, weaponized pneumonic plague. 1/3
While it may seem counter-intuitive, this incident explains why the US must keep its bio labs operating. The reason is NOT to produce bio weapons. Instead, the reason to keep such pathogens alive is so that antidotes and treatments can be developed. Otherwise, we are defenseless. 2/3
This is EXACTLY what they are doing. I wonder if Trump is going to handle this correctly or will it be "emergency" enough to cancel elections and declare martial law? I wouldn't put anything past him.
The Russian authorities seem to be acting responsibly, isolating people who may have been exposed and notifying the rest of the world. Don't freak out.
The U.S. says it is closely monitoring a potential case of pneumonic plague in Russia after a laboratory worker who studied the disease fell ill and died. @geoffrbennett.bsky.social discussed more with Annie Jacobsen, author of "Biological War: A Scenario." 🧵
Russian authorities insist there is no cause for alarm, but officials have imposed quarantines and other measures at several medical facilities in Siberia. (2/x)
Do not listen to Annie Jacobsen. Do not buy Annie Jacobsen's book. She is a crank who thinks that Stalin employed Joseph Mengele to create genetically engineered "aliens" for Roswell.
Sadly, I no longer believe the United States has any ability or competency to do much of anything😞
There is no cause for alarm other than they’re playing around with it for what purpose? Otherwise it’s nothing to panic about spreading.
The death of a Russian researcher who is believed to have shattered a test tube containing the pneumonic plague pathogen at a laboratory in Siberia has triggered worldwide alarm. Daria Shipilova, an employee at research institute in Russia’s Irkutsk region, accidentally broke the test tube on Sep 25
If they knew she dropped the test tube and what was in it, why didn't they treat her immediately?
I’m confused by this story. She knew she was working with the plague- but she didn’t get medical treatment? We’re told there are antibiotics that work on this type of plague- so why did she fall ill and die? So is this not the type of plague that responds to antibiotics? What are we missing?
The incubation period is 2-8 days. Antibiotics must be started in the first 18-24 hours or you'll likely die. I don't know many people who run to the doctor in the first 24 hours of experiencing flu like symptoms. www.cdc.gov/plague/signs...
What is bizarre is that the lab worker who broke the test tube containing the bacteria DID NOT GET the antibiotics in time. She went to the ER 4 days after exposure and was admitted to hospital on day 5. She died within another few days.
It may be far worse than that. During the Cold War, the Soviets built a robust, totally illegal (under the Biological Weapons Convention), bioweapons development apparatus. This is what it produced. It would be totally in character for Putin to have reopened it. www.montana.edu/historybug/y...
The World Health Organization says that a possible case of pneumonic plague in Russia poses a "very low" risk outside the country.
I'm not worried about an accidental outbreak. I'm worried that Putin's losing war in Ukraine is making the diminutive dictator desperate enough to do anything to win.
I'm sure I've seen this movie
I'm reminded of when Donald Trump asserted to the public that Covid was nothing more than a bad cold... ... but in private conversations with Bob Woodward, Trump said it was worse than the Plague.
I wonder how soon it will hit the United States.
NEver in history would they say it poses a serious risk no matter what.
Fingers crossed that they’re right. Because the world isn’t ready for COVID 2: Electric Boogaloo.