Ray Gunn premieres at BFI, Brad Bird's retro sci-fi noir
There admittedly times where the animation in Ray Gunn does look pretty good... ...but there are also shots like those where the lighting is just really, and I do mean REALLY bad. No fault at all to the animators, they did the best they could. But there's something that still looks really off.
Something tells me that Bird and Fucile REALLY wanted the designs of the humans in particular to be stylized, but still have a lot of the same anatomies humans would. And compared to say, the Incredibles films and Ratatouille, I don't think the balance is quite there.
(Meant to say there are admittedly. Oops.)
And I’m also not going to lie even though yes this movie has been in development for 3 decades, the plot kinda does sound like the first bad guys actually and especially the relationship between Raymond Gunn and Venus Nova is surprisingly very similar to Mr. Wolf and Diane Foxington
Ray Gunn's animation was partially done at Cinesite Vancouver (formerly Nitrogen Studios). It really makes me question if John Lasseter is friends with Greg Tiernan...
I mean, I'll give it some credit: It was made by humans and I've DEFINITELY seen worse and lazier things be animated. I can AT LEAST give them an A for effort