Kyle Chandler praises Lanterns premiere
One of the best things about “Lanterns” is it is an honest to goodness television show, not a movie extended to eight hours and cut into arbitrary chunks. Each episode’s a distinct unit of narrative, with its own narrative, thematic and character concerns as part of the whole.
I’ve seen critics say that episode three and episode five are their favourites (I might be an episode seven guy), and I didn’t have to check my notes to see which episode they were. I could immediately go, “Oh, that’s the [REDACTED] one. Oh, yeah. I can see that."
I'm not sure to what degree Lindelof is in charge of this show, but he's definitely the master of this technique: making what on paper should be heavily serialized shows feel satisfying each week by making each episode into a portrait of one aspect of the ongoing storyline.
It’s sad how DC and Marvel figured out TV right when audiences started bolting
Omg! You mean I can watch tv on tv instead of one long crappy story on tv while I go to the theater to watch one short crappy story?
you don't need to sell it so hard! thanks for reminding me, though. now I got to check if I can throw money at the show to watch it legally, or...
What great times we live in, where "TV show is an actual TV show, with episodes and stuff" is a legitimate compliment 😂
First episode of Lanterns was a 10/10 Kyle Chandler and Aaron Pierre are the perfect Hal Jordan and John Stewart
I just finished. The cinematography, script writing, and tone is what DC fans wanted from superman. I hope this path holds. It's more The Batman, than superman. And that's what I love
DUDE... this episode was like me reading the comicbook. minus all the hollywood stuff... great actor to play John Stewart
Okay, I’m officially curious 👀 The Lanterns premiere has everyone talking!
Lots of thoughts on the series premiere of Lanterns, in which Hal Jordan and John Stewart plain don't like each other:
I'll mostly be watching for Kelly Macdonald
It probably will take some time to work up to the other Lantern Corps of the Spectrum. I can't wait for them to get around to Agent Orange:
Really enjoyed the episode. Always up for Kyle Chandler enjoying himself (Kelly Macdonald, too). Only thing that pulled me out was accepting that Jason Ritter was young enough to be Garret Dillahunt’s kid (15 year difference, but Ritter doesn’t look TOO young and Dillahunt doesn’t look that old).
What a pilot. Smart to make it a detective show about the old cop breaking in the rookie. So much fun to see Kyle Chandler let his hair down. The great Kelly Macdonald bravely attempts a midwestern accent. Some superhero stuff but not too much, feels like DC's Andor? Maybe I'm being dramatic.
The best superhero stories are genre pieces at their heart. The power is a solution, but the problem can't be solved with the power. The pilot showed things that would make any of us uncomfortable, but stayed far away from the ring just "fixing" things. People over powers.
Do not take Andor's name in vain
Took them 10 minutes to get on a football field. About 9 minutes too many for my tastes