Power Rangers live-action series not moving forward at Disney+
The live-action ‘POWER RANGERS’ series is no longer moving forward at Disney+ (via deadline.com/2026/08/powe...)
Good. Let Power Rangers die so we can finally get more Sentai released in the west.
I would like to say that I was surprised by this news... but I am not... le sigh
Sidenote: I'm really sorry but every time I see the shortest character in pink all I can think is "it's LIGHT RED!" (iykyk)
It's No No Power Rangers.
I knew this wouldn't happen. You know Disney wanted a big piece of the pie from the merch revenue.
I can't think of the Power Rangers now without thinking about the College Humor skit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJgC...
I sort of understand why people want more Power Rangers (because it WAS good and WAS foundational to a lot of people), but let's be real. The owners don't "get" what they have, don't know how to use it well, and for that reason I don't even want more of it anyway until they figure that shit out.
might be time to wise up here, lads
Toei Company did this in a rock quarry with a box of rubber costumes
You get your ass down to the goddamn quarry and you bust out some wooden models and you're gonna solve that budget issue
It's a shame but there are 50 years of Super Sentai to keep you busy
I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself on this, but the thing that holds Power Rangers back these days is the formula. Just make it a cartoon and allow it to break from the sentai conventions. Check out what Boom Studios did for many years. There is a solid concept if you give it legs
I feel like we're in the twilight era of Tokusatsu in general. People underestimate how much time, training, money and effort goes into any Tokusatsu production. Super Sentai itself couldn't meet the profit demands to remain yearly and I feel more and more productions will go that way
*sigh* Not surprised. It is annoying that Hasbro essentially killed the Production team in New Zealand to fail twice to get a new, “original” show off the ground.
...wasn't it already live action?
This thing honestly had no chance of happening, between the vague “news” about it and all the non-events surrounding it.
I know a few people who were looking forward to this, and I feel bad for them; but I also feel like this is something that either demands a (good) movie or a manageably budgeted network series; not an overthought streaming scheme. deadline.com/2026/08/powe...
Power Rangers is a franchise of infinite potential given how often it renews itself but the 'fandom' are too hooked on toxic nostalgia. If you're a fan of the og rangers the best possible story they could do with them was already done in the comic MMPR The Return. Otherwise let it be crazy.
The whole point of Power Rangers was adapting an existing show to make an American-friendly version for about $45 a season. Streaming has completely cooked studio execs' brains, they don't know how to make money anymore.
As you can tell by my profile pic I’m huge fan and I prefer a movie. I don’t need 8 plus hour long episodes of this I prefer it be something nice to go see in the theater.
With Super Sentai gone, this may be the end of this entire family of IP. Toei's probably gonna make a new thing that's just Super Sentai but without fifty years of history they constantly have to reference every few months for some reason, but still, end of an era.
Kinda seems like not using sentai footage defeats the charm of the whole thing.
They certainly need someone who can make a fun show/flick with practical effects on a budget. I’d def be all over a modern Power Rangers reboot if they got someone like Steve Kostanski involved.
the disney power rangers show getting cancelled is such a funny twist of fate, because correct me if I'm wrong, didn't super sentai explicitly get cancelled because "we're gonna do power rangers in house" took away the lucrative cut on merchandise sold in the US, making the shows unprofitable?
Power rangers is so funny in the big 26, because its such a relic of how localization used to work. Compaines would viciously re-edit shows to make them palatable for americans and his kind of behavior is now considered to be disrespectful at best but they keep trying for this one show specifcally.
Functionally, yeah. Saban/Hasbro kind of dirt bags for that (among other numerous infractions too plentiful to list into one single post).
They keep trying to make their own thing cutting out Sentai from the equation and it never works. So funny.
Its also ironic cause when Disney owned power rangers in the mid 2000s they did everything in their power to kill the brand they bought.
I would imagine the bigger problem is that the five-man team and mixed on-foot/mecha concept is cumbersome. It worked in the 90's because more characters means more merch, but with video games these days kids don't care about toys so much, and with recessions parents can't afford them.
Power Rangers died when the series became an endless stream of "Hey? Remember Mighty Morphin?"
Aka 2011, when the franchise returned to Saban and MMPR nostalgia (specifically for season 1, the worst season of MMPR and a 3/10 for the franchise) poisoned every subsequent production from Samurai onwards in tone/motif/storytelling style, to the point they ended up worse than MMPR itself.
The thing with treating Mighty Morphin' as an evergreen franchise akin to G1 Transformers is that it's both too shallow and yet too established to really iterate upon in any kind of meaningful way. And even then, that approach has diminishing returns (people ARE getting tired of current Transfomers)
true. and this new thing would've just been that again, without even the charm of monster suits or practical effects. just more bland cgi
Imagine how long Sentai would have lasted if every season was GoRanger nostalgia aimed only at people who were kids in 1975. This shit is so obvious, but Hollywood today seriously cannot understand that an IP isn't some hard physical resource, and that people's attachment to art is contextual.
With the news that the Disney+ adaptation of POWER RANGERS is NOT moving forward, this thread is especially salient. How many times have I've grown up as an older millennial hearing about how "a Japanese IP needs to be adapted to American sensibilities" back in the late 80s and 90s?
Like, this is 2026 and not the days when some white people thought that both Famicom and Japanese gaming mags needed an update since "it's not to our standards". Who the fuck wants to buy the Turbografx when you have the PC Engine?
It makes sense, and it's why my thoughts on Power Rangers as an IP sours more over time, especially as I watched more Japanese tokusatsu. I knew many of these shows were kids fare but there seemed to be a more genuine heart behind these shows as opposed to endlessly recapturing the energy from MMPR.
I'm a Macross fan and I've got pretty strong opinions about Robotech and its rights holders despite having played the PS2 game 20 something years ago and really liking it
I’ll always have an affinity for Power Rangers, but I stopped caring for the series over 25 years ago. I get why it happened and I appreciate the cast trying to make it better than shit, but it’s unnecessary now.
Power Rangers without Sentai is too expensive to exist. Too expensive for Hasbro to make on their own and too expensive to make with Disney.
The death of Power Rangers is going to be fascinating to learn more about when all the BTS stuff comes out. Outwardly it seems like a combination of a big company buying an IP without understanding what made it successful and a waning interest globally in Super Sentai style entertainment.
If Hasbro actually cared about animated shit anymore, they'd have probably made it animated. But they don't, especially considering they left Transformers Earthspark to die. Also... it's genuinely kinda probably for the best PR stay dead for now considering current entertainment media bs.
A truly terrible month for Power Ranger fans. The in-development show is dead. In 2 weeks they gotta listen to crazy people go "No no, White Dragon is actually a good film, you should go see it. It's like Power Rangers... but for ADULTS man. I cried." Various comics that aren't good.
Yeah. I know this one dude who had been hammering home for years that Disney was going to bring back the show and that I was crazy to say otherwise is probably in his feelings right now. Oh well. C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est une pomme de terre.
Can't say I'm really surprised. I used to feel like Power Rangers has been repeatedly fumbled, attempting to get away from the Japanese source material. ...But evidently Japanese kids didn't care enough to keep that alive, either.
Do you have thoughts on Project R.E.D. on the other side? They are at least trying different stuff in Japan (instead of not doing anything here in the US) but right now, Sentai / PR is truly in hiatus on both sides of the Pacific...