Strange New Worlds airs black-and-white episode 'A Case of Chiaroscuro'
Get ready for everyone to lose their minds next week 🖖 Star Trek Strange New Worlds S4.E5 ∙ Level-Five Transporter Accident Thu, Aug 20, 2026 A transporter malfunction turns most of the crew into puppets while Spock fights to reclaim the ship
I'm sure everyone is going to be super enthusiastic for this exciting big swing of an episode!
Wow, they really are just doing Buffy and Angel episodes in space. That seems...fine, I guess. At least they're copying well-written shows.
I wake up everyday I'm expecting to see some sort of hatred towards Star Trek, I am never disappointed.
Have they never seen TOS? This is the weird shit we're looking for.
One thing that annoys me about Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is, like, I get it, Star Trek has never been hard scifi, but their reasons for high concept bullshit happening feel more consistently hand-wavey than other examples of the franchise.
I don't understand people being angry before broadcast or a movie being on cinema... I criticize star trek production when they screw up but before i saw the episode...
Seriously though if yall love Muppets and Star Trek you should check out @startrekcc.bsky.social They did a run of hilarious mash-ups; it was magnificent. ✌🏻 bsky.app/profile/star...
MUPPET TIME! YES! TIME FOR F-U-N! 🖖 #StarTrek #StarTrekSNW #StrangeNewWorlds
This season is all just Stargate: SG-1 "200" pitches, and I'm okay with that aspect.
If I can buy a subspace fold making everyone sing, I sure as heck can buy a transporter accident turning everyone into puppets. #HitIt
Computer, play "Star Trekkin by the Firm" :D bsky.app/profile/deck...
Can't believe they're doing a "leave one person but everyone is a muppet" episode.
FINALLY. Been waiting a year for this.
Star Trek at its best is didactic. It's a morality play in a sci fi costume. Every good episode has something to say about humanity, about the contemporary world, about SOMETHING. Strange New Worlds has gimmicks. It's fun, sometimes, but it has nothing to say. It's hollow and facile.
In fact a lot of modern Trek has focused too much on FORM and not on FUNCTION. Disco for all its befuddlement at least tried to say something each season, and even multiple somethings. Picard's first season seemed to gesture in the vague direction of saying something before devolving into nonsense
Yes a lot of tv is empty calories now
Beginning in S3, yes. I blamed the writers' strike for forcing half-finished scripts to production. S4, it's gimmicks and aesthetics. Please, SNW, give us an *idea.*
The thing is SNW often does have things to say; it’s frequently fatalistic, deeply conservative, pro military industrial complex, bio essentialist, and even genocide apologist. I don’t think it’s all intentional, this can happen when you don’t think about the meanings of your work.
I disagree, but let me make a comparison that is more stark. Scooby Doo. Hear me out. Scooby Doo had zero episodes that involved morality. Instead the morality was baked directly into the concept itself. Friends are everything, and can be anyone. The monster is never real. Always look for answers.
Being generous to creatives, all creatives want to create their OWN creations. Since they're all working on someone else's creation these days, being different is their little act of defiance. Shitting on the OG is institutionalized these days.
Yeah. Kurtzman & co. seemed to take people enjoying the first season of S1 (in a way that Discovery was never loved) as a license to double down on the dumb/fun silliness, and now SNW has turned into nothing but pandering surface-level gimmicks.
There's an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Cordelia wishes Buffy never existed. The whole show is gimmicky, like OOH THINGS ARE DIFFERENT. ie: Willow and Xander are vampires. Now imagine a whole sequel series following hammy alt vampire Xander. Anyway, this is a post about new Star Trek.
This is a meaningful breakdown.
NEW! #StarTrek #StrangeNewWorlds goes black and white — while exploring all the shades of grey — in “A Case of Chiaroscuro” blog.trekcore.com/2026/08/star...
Hit me over the head with a bat. I will fire up Casablanca today. Same thing, better movie. Is Una going to get her own show? Still the best show of the season.
And next will be puppets?
OMG they made an episode of Star Trek about Expedition 33???
One of the things I love about Strange New Worlds is how the writers have some goofy itch that they want to scratch and figure out some pseudoscience nonsense to get there. And then it's just enjoyable. Also, Joseph M'Benga is the most interesting doctor ever.
Does this show ever do just an episode about science fiction drama?
(Hits blunt) What if we just made "The Wizard of Oz" with the Strange New Worlds cast? Like, Ortegas crashes a shuttle on the Wicked Witch's sister? And the witch turns Pike into the lion, Una into the scarecrow and Scotty into the Tin Man?
There's a non-zero chance they've already shot this episode!
Also, La'an is obviously the wicked witch because everyone descended from Augments has the Evil Gene. And Pelia is the Wizard.
“What if we did science fiction?” “You’re fired.”
I mean I would watch the shit out of that… 🖖 😶🌫️ 🌪️
I haven't watched this season, admittedly, but it does seem like they're just speedrunning all the holodeck eps from ST:TNG at once.
I kinda like this idea, but it makes the ending of your concept and the movie with Judy Garland that much more of a letdown. "you could go home at any time." "Really!?" "that's right all you had to do is push the button on your communicator." 
The sad thing is that it’s entirely possible this could be an upcoming episode, squeezed between the Doctor Who crossover and the stop-motion animated Christmas special.
My take: Auntie Em: Una Uncle _____: Pike Dorothy: Spock Lion: La'an Tinman: Uhura Scarecrow: James Kirk Toto: Ortegas (moves the story forward) Wizard: Pelia Witches: Actual aliens having conflict over shoes
Seán's here with all the Ups & Downs from the latest Strange New World genre hop, 10.30pm BST. youtube.com/watch?v=r47MIv3vewA #StarTrek #StangeNewWorlds #TrekNoir @seanferrick.bsky.social @pedrostarfleet.bsky.social
One last adventure into the final frontier
Okay, this is whiny, but I can't get over how the La Marseillaise homage ends? The whole point of the scene is that united the people outnumbered their oppressors and could drown them out, even if there would be consequences for that...but instead, Kor just yells and everyone is cowed. What?
Ok here's my theory on Spock. He assumed the chip was dislodged and never was used. She thinks it's wiped, he just thinks it's blank.
Did I enjoy Strange New Worlds film noir episode? Why yes, yes I did. Am I going to be thinking about it in a year? Nope, probably not. And that's alright. In this topsy-turvy world, I eek out joy from wherever I can these days.
I appreciate this more than you know! Bsky is overflowing with SNW hate, sadly.
I really liked this episode. Looking forward to the Muppet episode also
I want so much to see a shitload of behind-the-scenes/production info on this ep because I want to see the costumes and sets in living color, learn how lighting setups changed for the end result, inspo for all of the aforementioned, all the technical work poured into this ep
I personally enjoyed it but I didn't connect with it as much as the first 3 episodes of season 4. I knew the references & they were well performed. Still an improvement on parts of season 3. I am however really interested in La'ans story going forward.
A good comment I read elsewhere said the only thing that would have improved the episode would have been some instance where they used a light that revealed color on the planet showing everyone had blue skin or something to better explain the resemblance.
Captain Kirk’s empathy, which gets lost in the Kirk Drift of his pop culture image. But STRANGE NEW WORLDS and the Reboot films got it. Through Shatner’s Kirk and Superman, I learned the importance of empathy and helping others.
So good. These people missing on #SNW because they've decided in their own mind's eye what it is and now can't see the forest through the trees. It's kind of sad. This scene is as much what SNW is as the genre of the week. This kind of scene is everywhere in SNW. "Lost in Translation" is epic Trek.
Agreed completely. Having just finished a re-watch of TOS, I am struck once again by how the cliches about the character are really pretty often off-base. They miss the compassion, and also that he's frankly a bit of a nerd. (Not that he can't turn on the charm at will.)