MinnMax removes YouTuber Jacob Geller after assault allegation
Jacob Geller sexually assaulted someone. His job is being a YouTuber with side gigs of 2 books and a podcast. All that’s happened to him is losing endorsements, a podcast job, & a book deal. He even admitted to sexual assault. He still has his money and never served jail time. He’s getting off easy.
“As a sexual assault survivor” well as a sexual assault survivor myself I’d personally go apeshit if I saw people asking for “nuance” if my assaulter ever went public If he wasn’t a white man y’all would have way less conflicted feelings about his very mild consequences. Let’s not pretend otherwise
And getting removed from Nebula. Which, good.
He fucking WHAT god damn it.
listen I get if you think the Jacob Geller thing is nuanced or complicated or whatever, like you go on and have a good think about it, sincerely; but please keep in mind, this news broke today, and there are already people demanding people be cool about it, forgive, move on. imagine how that feels,
to be a victim of sexual assault who was likely themselves told to forgive and move on, who likely watched people give their assaulter a pass and demand people be cool with him, it was just a youthful transgression, boys will be boys, whatever. like, this is the same DAY people are learning about it
yeah i said yesterday elsewhere that people can change, and that i hope he has/does; but I won't blame anyone for not trusting him ever again i certainly won't
I still am haunted by things that happened to me over 10 years ago, it's actually nuts to act like we should all just move on right away! everyone is allowed to be hurt by things like this and apologists should fuck off. or be locked in my concrete and steel box never to be seen again. :)
I get that we protect the victims directly by not foregrounding them in the stories, but the public seems to have difficulty in picking which is the correct side to rehabilitate when they only know the aggressors.
I'm curious if the Jacob Geller situation will be enough of an edge case where people might have interesting conversations about what life should look like for offenders. What he did was bad, everyone agrees, including him, but it was also a decade ago.
Is there a statute of limitations for public opinion? Perhaps not, when it comes to public figures like youtubers etc. The reveal makes it feel like a fresh betrayal, and I can't fault anyone for not wanting to watch a known sex offender. It's not great to think about. I don't want to, either.
I wrote a thread relating to Geller after seeing responses about that, the college rapists, boof saga, some personal family stuff, and more bsky.app/profile/pure... TLDR: I don't think a lot of people will until someone popular focuses the talking points into usage rhetoric
This is how I found out H o l y S h i t that was the LAST person I ever expected to be capable of something like that. God damn. I got a lotta thinkin to do…